While it is necessary to have ‘me time’ or ‘alone time’ or ‘time apart’ or whatever you want to call it, it is also significant to have a regular date with the spouse in order to have a healthy and happy marriage or relationship. I know, I know, this is hard for couples with little kids like us. We are always occupied with house chores and babysitting when we are at home.
However, dating or spending time together should never stop. There will be hindrances, but there can ways.
Why do we need it?
- It is an investment in having a happy and long-lasting marriage. To be away from the kids sometimes is all we need – imagine having a peaceful and quiet dinner, not chasing an infant or reminding the toddler to focus on the food. Sometimes, no matter how tasty the food I cook, I honestly cannot enjoy because I have to prioritize the kids I feed. Do not get me wrong, I love doing this to my children. Our topic now is husband and wife time, okay?
So, if we get that rare chance to eat with just the two of us, we can savor the food, the moment, the solo quiet time.
2. We need to keep the spark! (That KILIG)
Not because we are already married and we are always busy with the kids, we should stop making each other feel loved. Always remember how it all started. Not just when dating, but every time, start and end your days with kisses and hugs – affirmation of love!
3. We have to maintain our open communication.
In any kind of relationship, communication is always the most important recipe to make it delicious. Being busy will sometimes make us miss or forget to say the things that we have to discuss with our partners – may they be big or petty. So here it is, dating is our chance to talk. Admit it or not, we sometimes think our partners are mind-readers. And then we get so disappointed when what we want do not happen. That is always my scenario. I assume that he understands me all the time and it makes him frustrated because all he needs is honesty and to be told. Communicate with your partner. Always tell how you feel, what you want to do, what you dream about, or even what display items you would like to put in your bathroom! My point is, just let it out. It feels so great when there is someone to listen to, and it feels even lovelier when that someone is your spouse. May it be a success, trouble, plan, financial struggle, or any issue under the sun, be open and solve the issues together. TALK about it, as simple as that. Do not keep it or hide it. That is unhealthy. That is where stress or even hatred can start. I say it again, give importance to COMMUNICATION.
Some simple ways to have Husband and Wife Time are:
- Eat Out – go to your favorite restaurant or carenderia or street food stand or whatever food place you like. Or try something new. Meals are lovelier when shared with loved ones, for sure.
- Movie – watch a movie together, like the old times. We rarely go out for movies, just the 2 of us, these days. We have been to movies twice since our second child was born, but it was always a kid-friendly movie because the two have to tag along. It is difficult because I can only be away from Noah for three hours maximum because he is still being breastfed. So, thanks to Netflix, and saved movies in our hard drives, we can have a kind of romantic movie time after putting the kids to sleep.
- Talk or plan together. My husband and I sit down to talk about our future plans and dreams. We set time as well to discuss different things, particularly finances or budget, like we are having a corporate meeting. It is great when both are part of everything. At the moment, he is the provider of our family. But he reassures me that I also work hard for our family, that looking after the kids and him is not an easy task. So, he does not decide by himself just because he is the one making money as such. He makes sure I have a say in everything.
- Soon… Travel. Just us two again.
Maybe one day, when kids can stay with their mamita and gramps for a week, we can travel again, just us two? It’s always great to look forward, hey.
And so, sharing with you now, our husband and wife time we recently had to celebrate his 38th birthday. Definitely a beautiful time.
We had it in RBI Steakhouse Restaurant at Queens Hotel, Balibago, Angeles City to satisfy his Steak cravings. Food was so nice and fulfilling. Plus, we had a complimentary cake when I secretly told a staff that it’s my husband’s birthday. Being Rhys, he was a bit shy when they played a happy birthday song for him when they served his cake.
Okay, I might as well take advantage of this blog to greet you babe. Happy birthday, my love. I can never put into words about how grateful I am for being your wife. I thank God every single day for your life. May you stay down to earth, babe. I love you and I’m proud to shout it to the world.